The Divriği Ulu Mosque, located in the Divriği district of Sivas, was built by an architect named Ahlatlı Muği’s son Huerrem Şah of Menguecek Bey Ahmet Shah and his wife Turan Melek during the Menguecekoğulları principality of the Anatolian Seljuk state (1228). The Great Mosque and Hospital of Divriği, which consist of a mosque with two domed tombs and an adjacent hospital, are not only architectural masterpieces but also rich in examples of traditional Anatolian stone carving. The Great Mosque and the Divriği Hospital, reflecting the best and rarely seen examples of stone carving, are the work of masters from Ahlat and Tbilisi. The decorations and motifs, which appear symmetrical when viewed from a distance, but whose structure is asymmetrical, are of a non-repetitive variety. The entrance gate of the Darueşşifa, located in the Divriği Ulu Mosque, is called the “Crown Gate”. Pentagonal and octagonal star motifs symbolizing the Seljuks were used on the inner pediment of the gate. The column that divides the window into two halves is the “balance column”. He placed a total of three balance columns in the complex, two of them on the west gate in the area of the mosque section. The balance columns indicate whether the mosque and the hospital are in balance. They were affected by the 1939 Erzincan earthquake and lost their ability to rotate. The shadow of the column of balance on the wall inside the building acts like a sundial. The patterns on the Divriği Bowl were designed based on the motifs on the crown gate of the Darueşşifa in the Divriği Ulu Mosque. The Great Mosque and Hospital of Divriği were registered as World Heritage Sites by UNESCO in 1985. Divrigi bowl is made of handmade cream opal colored glass and all relief patterns on it are decorated with 24-carat gold and antique colors.
Out of stock